Art - Memorial to St. Clement’s Church
Artist: Harald Wårvik 1997.
On the west wall of the Central Bank of Norway building, we find this relief indicating that this was the approximate site of St. Clement’s Church, it having perhaps been 100 metres further north. It was the first church in Trondheim, and was naturally dedicated to the patron saint of mariners, St. Clement, who was the bishop in Rome during the first century after Christ. St. Clement is made in low relief, with a hairband, halo and his characteristic attribute, the anchor. The memorial shows St. Clement presenting the church to the town. The church was also the first pilgrim church in Trondheim, as the shrine of Saint Olav was placed on the altar after the King had been sanctified in 1031.
© Copyright - National and international copyright laws protect the works of art presented at this website. The artworks may not be reproduced or made public in any way, analogue or digital, without permission from the right holders / BONO. Please contact BONO (Norwegian Visual Artists Copyright Society) in order to obtain a license. https://www.bono.no
Text descriptions of art made before the year 2000 are taken from the book 'Skulpturguiden for Trondheim' by Anne Grønli and Grethe Britt Fredriksen. Text descriptions of art made after the year 2000 are written by Per Christiansen.